Saturday, February 20, 2010

the ghost of CNY past

It's Chor 7 of CNY already, so happy birthday everyone! Somehow it feels like such a long time ago that I was back in Penang for CNY.

Not that I'm not a fan of CNY, but I had way more enthusiasm for CNY as a kid than I do lately. Maybe all things are just better viewed from the eyes of a 3.5ft tall child.

I remember staying up excitedly every CNY eve when I was a kid together with my sister. We'd always get all the spring cleaning done just in time, and I'd be a busybody hovering around my mom while she cooked some dessert thing, which till this day I've no idea what it's called in English. It's the one with all the stuff like red dates, gingko and fungi stuff... nevermind, I'm making it sound horrible. It's still one of my favourite things about CNY actually :) My mom would also always let me stick some red paper on the fruits for the gods, because my arts and crafts skills were so l33t wtf.

At midnight, I'd bounce around for a while at the sound of firecrackers, nevermind that I stopped being able to actually play with any after the age of like 6 when they were outlawed :( And I'd then get my first (or sometimes second) angpow of the year from my mom happily with my sister. We both have a 'treasure chest' which we keep our angpows in until the end of CNY, upon which we'd pour everything out, and I'd fish the $$s out while my sister checked the angpows to see if I left anything out before we disposed of them. I almost threw RM 10 away once wtf T_T





My treasure chest :D

If you're wondering why that photo is kinda fail and quite unlike my usual pwetty photos *hacking cough*, that's because...





...I took it with my new Blackberry which I got this CNY eve :D Thanks to my awesome dad teehee. It's the Bold 9700! And it is the awesomesauce hohohoho. [/showoff]

Thing is, getting the BB was probably the thing I was happiest about this CNY, other that the fact that I got to go back to Penang. CNY just isn't quite the same for me any more; there's generally a lot less hype, and a lot more bickering. I've always considered myself pretty lucky that my whole extended family on both sides generally get on pretty nicely, but well... let's just say clinging to my Berry and being antisocial helped me get through some rough yaks this CNY.

Well that was CNY 2010 for me; hope you had a great CNY! Now excuse me while I go digest the yee sang/steamboat I had for dinner with yee-sang-obsessed Robb and Zach just now.

9 comments:

Daniel.L said...

Gong xi fa cai!

Wow! That's a cool BB Bold 9700 you got there.

ahlost said...

Wow.. Bold 9700 really good ah?

I'm considering storm but I haven't got the time to look at the package offered by celcom..

why DiGi has no Bold package ?? :(

Oh btw.. Happy CNY to you too ;)

IyouweBlog.com said...

Gong Xi fa Choi,xinxian!!!!!

NN are so great + these friendly NN admins, i guarantee NN may lead the web advertising field! Frankly, there are still space for improvement! :) Bravo, Nuffnang!

denise said...

so you finally have your berry. wat's next? =)

Kancilbiru said...

Hello there...tq for dropped by at my blog..such a pleasure...^___^

Kancilbiru said...

Hello there...tq for dropped by at my blog..such a pleasure...^___^

kenwooi said...

wah hennessy chest.. you have the alcohols in it? haha.. and BB.. *jealous* =P

kenwooi.com

Cheddarina said...

first time reading your blog. Love ur blog header. Special!

Matjoe said...

luck laa you. got bb maa